Currently sitting in a UPS pick-up center waiting for my package to come back. There is nothing to do except look at an ESPN magazine or a People magazine.
The three other people waiting with me are on their smart phones reading email or texting.
Waiting is such dead time that hardly anyone utilizes.
5 Ways To Make Waiting Better:
1. Offer a trivia game like Buffalo Wild Wings has. Enable people waiting to compete against each other.
2. Never have dead noise. It’s awkward. Makes everyone feel like they’re in the library. Even bad radio is better than silence.
3. Run sponsored content. It could be a sponsored TV pilot or even an infomercial. Just like standing at a urinal, we want something to focus our attention on.
4. Offer two cent candy. Sugar makes people feel good and helps take their mind off waiting.
5. Over estimate how much time it will take. I learned this from the pizza business. You tell people a shorter time upfront so they don’t get upset, but then they leave angry when you’re late. I didn’t mind waiting 30 minutes, but it’s now been 45 without an update.
Connect with me on Twitter: @BenNesvig